Equis ISSN 2398-2977
Contributor(s): Vetstream Ltd
- Origin in Scotland.
- A rare breed.
- Willingness to work.
- Suitable as mounts for children.
- A good temperament and easy to train.
- The Eriskay pony is in Category 1 ('critical') on the Rare Breeds Survival Trust (RBST) Rare Breeds Watch List, officially classifying it as one of the most rare breeds in the UK, with numbers <300. This is based on the number of registered breeding females in the UK.
- Visit the RBST website to view their full Watch List 2014 - https://www.rbst.org.uk/watchlist-2014.pdf .
- Ancient Celtic and Norse origin → Icelandic horse Icelandic Horse → Feroe Island horse.
This article is available in full to registered subscribers
Sign up now to purchase a 30 day trial, or
Other sources of information
- Hendricks B L (1995)International Encyclopedia of Horse Breeds. University of Oklahoma Press. ISBN 8-8061-2753-8.
- Ball C (1994)Horse and Pony Breeds. Quintet Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1-85076-500-6.
- Hartley Edwards E (1994)The Encyclopedia of the Horse. Dorling Kindersley. ISBN 1-7513-011-59.
- Eriskay Pony Breed Society, Buskinburn House, Coldingham, Eyemouth, Berwickshire TD14 5UA, Scotland.
- British Horse Society, British Equestrian Centre Stoneleigh, Kenilworth,Warwickshire CV8 2LR, UK.