Equis ISSN 2398-2977
Third eyelid: trauma
Contributor(s): Keith Barnett, Paul E Miller, Graham Munroe
- Incidence: not common.
- Cause: may occur with eyelid lacerations Eyelid: trauma or other ocular trauma .
- Superficial lesions can be allowed to heal by secondary intention Wound: healing - second intention .
- Lacerations involving the bulbar surface, margin or cartilage require surgical repair Third eyelid: trauma - repair .
- May result in chronic lacrimation as the third eyelid facilitates cleaning of the ocular surface and proper distribution of the pre-corneal tear film.
- Severely damaged third eyelids may require removal Third eyelid: excision .
- Close wound with fine absorbable suture material so that the suture tags cannot rub against the cornea.