Equis ISSN 2398-2977
Extensor carpi radialis muscle: rupture
Contributor(s): David Moll
- Cause: excessive running with mare, sudden standing or other stress forces in very young foal.
- Signs: knuckling over onto dorsal aspect of distal limb , lameness or stiff gait Musculoskeletal: gait evaluation - inability to extend distal forelimb, swelling associated with rupture site .
- Diagnosis: palpation , radiography Forelimb: radiography , ultrasound Ultrasonography: overview .
- Treatment: surgery , debridement +/- suture tendon, and cast Musculoskeletal: external fixation - casts , or cast alone for 30 days; anti-inflammatories Therapeutics: anti-inflammatory drugs , phenylbutazone Phenylbutazone , flunixin meglumine Flunixin meglumine .
- Prognosis: guarded for future athletic ability.