Toxic blue-green algae warning

09/08/2018

BVA urges pet owners to take extra precautions while walking their dogs in the vicinity of affected water bodies...
 

Blue green algae blooms Blue-green algae poisoning may appear as green or greenish-brown scum on the surface of water and can contain toxins that can be harmful for animals if ingested, even in small quantities. Dogs can swallow this algae by drinking water from an affected lake, river or pond or while licking their fur after going for a swim.

Symptoms of exposure can appear within a few minutes or hours, depending on the type of toxin ingested, and commonly include: vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, disorientation, trouble breathing, seizures and blood in feces. If left untreated, it can cause liver damage and ultimately be fatal within days.

The presence of blue green algae has been confirmed in water bodies in Scotland, the Lake District, North Lincolnshire and East Northamptonshire, among other locations, this summer.

Source: BVA


ADDED