- Percutaneous aspiration of urine from the bladder for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes.
Print off the Owner factsheet Samples - how they help my vet to give to your clients.
- Cystocentesis is a procedure performed in order to provide an optimal, uncontaminated sample of urine for culture and sensitivity studies.
- The procedure occasionally forms part of stabilization techniques in animals with lower urinary tract obstruction, when emergency decompression of the bladder is required and a catheter cannot be passed.
- Cystocentesis is the method of choice of urine sample collection for culture and sensitivity since the occurrence of accidental contamination, and therefore spurious or false positive results, is minimized.
- When used in the overdistended bladder, cystocentesis may occasionally result in laceration of the bladder wall, therefore it should only be used as an emergency procedure when catheterization has failed.
- Puncture of other abdominal organs can happen.
- Sterile 5-10 ml syringe.
- Sterile 23-25 gauge needle, 1 in.
- Three-way tap.
- Kidney dish or sterile urine collection bottles.
- Skin disinfectant and swabs or cotton wool.
- 5 min.