- Class: Nematoda .
- Superfamily: Trichuroidea .
- Genus: Capillaria .
- Capillaria aerophila is a trichuroid nematode affecting domestic and wild carnivores and, sometimes, humans. It may cause respiratory distress in cats. It is a new emerging pathogen with a worldwide distribution. Global warming is a potential driver to the spread of this parasite.
- Until recently, rarely recorded in cats and the 2 possible explanation is that it is newly emerged or that it was mistaken for Trichuris spp.
- Prevalence of infection in certain places in Europe and USA can reach 5-10%.
- FIV cats may be susceptible.
- Many cases asymptomatic.
- Some may show severe respiratory signs.
- May be fatal.
- Potentially zoonotic.