- Dinoprost tromethamine.
Class of drug
- Derivative of arachidonic acid, synthetic prostaglandin F2alpha. Primary action is regression of the corpus luteum, thereby allowing cycling mares to return to estrus 3-4 days after treatment.
- Termination of normal luteal phase.
- Induction of estrus in mares with persistent luteal function.
- Termination of pregnancy (first trimester).
- Treatment of uterine infections.
- Induction of maternal behavior in foster mares.
Effects of overdosage
- Similar effects as noted under other reported reactions.
Other reported reactions
- Transient sweating.
- Decreased rectal temperature.
- Increased heart rate.
- Increased respiratory rate.
- Abdominal discomfort.
- Inadvertent reactions are transient will subside after 20-30 min.
Antidote for overdose
- No antidote available.