- Superfamily: Trichostrongyloidea .
- Family: Trichostrongylidae .
- Genus: Trichostrongylus .
- Species: axei .
- Gk: Tricho , hair.
- Very commonly found in horses in temperate and sub-tropical areas.
- Quite common in some tropical areas.
- Not found in a recent study of equine parasites in a tropical area (Queensland, Australia).
- Can cause gastritis in horses, and contribute to the general syndrome of chronic gastrointestinal nematode infection.
- Typically a nematode parasite of ruminants, horses typically infected when sharing pasture with these other species.