Class of drug
- Principally a beta 1-adrenoceptor agonistwith lesser degrees of alpha1 and beta2 agonist effects.
- Increases cardiac muscle contractility with little effect on rate at normal doses.
- The 1° use is to increase arterial blood pressure.
- Chemically related to dopamine , but does not trigger release of endogenous norepinephrine. Dobutamine is preferred over dopamine by many authors in the management of cardiac failure because of its lack of side effects.
Effects of overdosage
- Marked increase in systolic blood pressure.
Other reported reactions