- Highly toxic pesticide, under strict control in the US and UK. Widely used in New Zealand and Australia by licensed authorities to control pest animals. Dogs are highly susceptible.
- Anxiety, hyperexcitability.
- Urination, defecation and tenesmus.
- Cycles of tonic and/or clonic convulsions.
- Weakness and ultimately death from exhaustion.
- Prognosis is poor to grave once clinical signs have developed.
Expected response to treatment
- Treatment is usually begun too late to save the dog.
Reasons for treatment failure
- Serious and rapidly-progressing nature of toxicosis.